Skip to Main Content

International Student Guide: Home

Important Terms to Know


On behalf of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) manages schools, nonimmigrant students in the F and M visa classifications, and their dependents using the the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS).


SEVP requires every school it certifies to have a principal designated school official (PDSO). Each school may also have additional designated school officials (DSOs) to provide support to F and M students.


Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) is a division of the Department of Homeland Security. You will probably interact with ICE officials as you enter and exit the US.


United States Customs and Immigration Services (USCIS) is another division of the Department of Homeland security. You will probably interact with USCIS officials if you are interested in changing to immigrant status.


  • I'm not an American citizen. Can I still come to study at NSA?
    • Of course! International students are welcome here.
  • What do I need in order to legally study in the states?
    • There is some paperwork to fill out and fees for you to pay. All of the details can be found under the "Incoming Students" tab at the top of the page.
  • I'm already an international student at NSA. Can I get a job?
    • You are allowed to work 20 hours a week or less at an on-campus job; however, you will have to get a social security number first. If you want to work off-campus, you will have to explore a couple of different options. Details on both can be found under the "Current Students" tab at the top of the page.
  • I want to leave the US to go home for break. Can I do that?
    • Yes, barring any unusual circumstances. Just make sure that the most recent signature and date at the bottom of your I-20 will not be more than a year old before you come back; otherwise you will have trouble getting back into the US.
  • Can I transfer from one US school to another US school?
    • Yes, you can legally transfer between SEVP-approved schools during your stay. Contact one of your school DSOs for more information on that process.
  • Who should I talk to about international student questions?
    • Your official designated school officers are Jacob Moya (the registrar) and Helen Howell (the librarian). Contact information for both of them can be found to the right in the "Contact Us" box.

Important Links

Study in the States

A great resource with all the official, government-sanctioned information you need as an international student. If you are looking for answers you can't find on our little guide, look here first.

SEVP Website

A source for information on SEVP itself, more specific to interacting with this particular branch of the DHS.

Contact Us

Designated School Officials 

Jacob Moya
‚ÄčNSA Registrar
208-882-1566 x115
[email protected]

Helen Howell
‚ÄčNSA Librarian
208-882-1566 x110
[email protected]